Sunday, September 10, 2006

Settling In

I'm finally in Lanzhou, which will be home for the next couple of years. Right now I'm trying to find places to put my things and am avoiding cleaning the apartment. I've just done my first couple loads of laundry and am going to tackle the bathroom next. But the internet is a pleasant distraction, as I haven't had consistent access to it since I've been in China. There are 8 other volunteers from my group--the China 12s--and 7 from the China 11 group in the city. Last night a few of us got together in an impromptu welcome gathering.

I spent much of the day (after my 22-hour train ride) shopping for some basic supplies with my sitemate, Cayce. I still have some essential things to buy--like trash cans, floor mats, plates, bowls, fabric to cover my furniture, a stool, another chair, and a DVD player.

The swearing-in ceremony went really well. The ambassador swore us in and Christopher Hill addressed us (he's an important man, though I only heard about him the other day, I'm embarrassed to admit. But if you watch the news, you probably know who he is). He's also a former PCV.

I have a new address and phone number, which I'll be emailing to my mom and to Mountainside. If you need either, please email me and I'll get that information to you.

Again, thanks for your support. I'm going to begin catching up on all the emails I haven't yet returned.

Angie

3 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
What do you mean by the China 12 and 7 from the China 11 group in the city? Sounds like a code.
I don't know who Christopher Hill is either.
What is Mountainside?
Sounds like you had to get quite a few things for your apartment. I'm glad you make it there okay.
I know you will enjoy it.
We are praying for you.
Love and Prayers,
Mom

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Lins said...

Hey Ang,
Everyone in Ohio says hello. I'm avoiding the TV today. It's still too hard to watch all the 9/11 programming over and over again.

On a brighter side, gas is $2.11. Can you believe it? Two papers to write this week and a lot of reading. I love my writing class - never would have thought I would say that.

Sounds like your apartment will be nice. I think its funny you're addicted to Chinese TV shows. We have a new network that is trying the same kind of scheduling.

Mac says woolf! She ate an entire cupcake wrapper yesterday, we're praying it doesn't lead to intestinal surgery. Silly dog:)

Miss you,
Lins

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Scott said...

The settling in sounds as though it is getting there. We are all good over here. The weather is going up and down, but mostly UP... and you know how well I do with heat(C: What's it like over there? On a brighter note... there was an Earthquake off the cost of Florida... a big one too, like 6.5 or something. I think they should just get over it(C: Anywho... hope all is well, and I miss you tons.

Scott

By the way Lins... gas is $2.97 here, down $.50 from a couple of months ago... lame huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home