Monday, August 14, 2006

Drum roll, please

I've neglected you, dear readers. I'm sorry.

There wasn't much of a surprise with my site annoncement. I'm going to Lanzhou, in Gansu province (the northwest of China). I'm one of about seven volunteers living in Lanzhou. My sitemate is a guy from the previous year (China 11), but I'm not sure when I'll meet him. He's somewhere traveling right now.

I'm on my site visit this week. I stayed in my apartment last night. It's big--one bedroom, a living room, a study/office, kitchen, and bathroom. I'll have to get used to showering in the open, as there isn't an actual stall. I just stand in the bathroom and shower. Though it sounds odd, it's rather convenient. The only thing is my entire bathroom floor is wet after the exercise.

I'll be in Lanzhou until Thursday and then I'll be going back to Chengdu to finish training. It's a 22 hour train ride, but luckily I slept for 10 hours on the way up.

Other exciting things that happened this week:
1. I got a haircut! And it only cost 8 yuan ($1). It turned out really well. It was also the first time a guy cut my hair.
2. I broke out into hives this week. I don't know why or what is causing the break out, but it hasn't been fun. I'm hoping to talk to the doctor about it when I get back to Chengdu.

Well, that's all for now. I'll update when I get back to Sichuan.

5 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I got a $1.00 haircut once... I ended up with big ears and no hair... I am glad to hear that your $1.00 hair cut had better results. I am excited to see your apartment (pictures at the very least if you are not in the same location when I come out there... do they move ya around at all after you are "placed"?). It actually sounds very nice. I am sorry about the hives thing. I have never had them, but have had 2 conversations about them with people today alone. Interesting. I heard benedril (sp?) is the way to go. But I am sure you will get the whole doctor thing taken care of right away... right??? I miss you tons. I mean, it is cool hanging out with everyone and all... but they're no Angie!!! I put together a bike trip with church... it is wierd, but it will not be the same with out the person who introduced me to the church there. I miss you tons, and plan on getting the skype (sp?) thing put together tomorrow... have a great week, and look forward to your writings again...

All my love!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
Sorry about the hives. I hope they go away soon and I hope you find out how you got them so you can avoid it next time. It sounds like you have a nice place to stay.
We are praying for you,
Love,
Mom and Dad

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HIVES! Welcome to my world, my reality, my mate... speaking of mate, a "sitemate" sounds intimate. I hope its not MSG. We miss you truly. Motorcycle Diaries was amazing, in fact, I will be watching it again before we leave in 5 weeks. I even mentioned it as I led communion one Sunday. Thanks for sharing your things with me.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Anneke @annekevk said...

Lanzhou, huh? Well, now I know what part of China I'll be visiting. Winter Break of school year 2007/08 perhaps? I'm a comin' some day I tell ya!

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,
Hope all is well Parker, Zoƫ, Jon and I send you lots of love and happiness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home