Sunday, July 30, 2006

I'm now officially a part of the family!

Or so said my waipo to my host father's little sister. That was huge!

Not much happened this week except for my busy training schedule. I have only one more week of Model School and then in two weeks we here our site annoucements.

On Wednesday, six of my students took me out for my first Hot Pot. It's a Sichuan specialty. Think fondue but with hot, spicy oil instead of cheese. You throw all your food in the pot and wait for it to cook and then you fish it out. From the hot pot, you put the food into your own bowl of oil and garlic (to help cool the food down) and then you eat. It was delicious! I was afraid it was going to be too spicey, but one of my students told me they ordered the wimpy hot pot for me. And when it was time to pay, they covered it all, even though I protested. It was really generous. The meal lasted four hours and was easily the highlight of my week.

I taught Zhong Dian (my host sister) the term "sleep in" last week. Anyway, she's been taking summer school classes seven days a week since I arrived and is also taking an English class every night. On Thursday night she got home and excitedly announced to me that her morning classes were finished and her evening classes were ending the following day. I asked if she was going to "sleep late" the following morning. She looked at me with a slight smile on her face and replied: "No, I'm going to sleep in." Yesterday I taught her how to use "hot" in reference to someone's physical appearance.

Not much else going on here. It's still hot, but I've heard the entire U.S. is also sweltering, so I won't complain.

4 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
What a good host family you have. It sounds like you having a lot of fun. It sounds that your host family likes you a lot. And why not, huh?
We found out that your white Honda is considered totaled by the State Farm Ins. on Friday pm. So dad will go on Monday to see what else is up. I told you that it was hit while it was parked at Krista's street, impounded because it hadn't been removed from the street and then dad had it towed to a service garage to see what could be done with it. We are hoping the lady's insurance, State Farm, will pay for all the money dad has spent taking it out of impound, police fees for having it on the street too long, towing and for "repairs".
Dad wants to know at what time here in Pasadena would be a good time to call you. How many hours difference is it?
Love you,
Mom

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I am so happy to hear that everything is going so nicely over yonder... You best be finding out all the food specialties over there for when I come and visit. Lastly, I am only guessing that when you taught your host sister "hot", you were probably explaining me and MY physical appearance to her... (C; I miss you tons, but look forward to hearing from you again.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sleeping in and hotness... glad to hear you've got all the important things covered...

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie!
It is such a beautiful thing to feel a part of the family! It's awesome to hear about all of the fun phrases you get to introduce in English! I would imagine that our experiences have been similar in that there is a lot that has to be explained! I can't imagine trying to explain the word "hot" to some of the people I've met, although they're really good with idioms here! I hope God will continue to bless your time with your family and these new found friends! I hope the rice is treating your stomach well, I'm still getting used to it and I go home in a week!
From what I hear central Asia is beautiful! you are
Blessings, peace and love from the south!
Misty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home