Saturday, July 15, 2006

Wai Po

I love my host family. They're very sweet and allow me enough independence. The other night, however, I had taken a shower and was ready to go to bed. So I tell my wai po (my host mother's mother) that I'm going to bed and shut the door after me. I don't think I'm quite in bed when my wai po comes right into my room, saying something I can't understand, but is pointing at the air conditioner and touching my hair. Earlier that night she had showed me the blow dryer, so I'm guessing she wants me to dry my hair before bed. It's rather odd, since the previous nights I didn't dry my hair. But I get up and use a blow dryer for my wai po. So now I think I've used a blow dryer three times in my life. Luckily, I haven't had to repeat the ritual, though she did implore me to use it last night. I politely refused.

Things are OK here. I'm just trying to settle into a routine and my stomach is taking a bit longer to adjust.

Thanks again for the comments. I enjoy reading them!

6 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Angie, do you not remember what I told you when you left for the airport... "Be safe, I love you, and for the love of all that's holy... DON'T FORGET TO USE THE BLOW DRYER!!!" Nonetheless, I am glad to here that you have some sweet people looking out for you(C: Good luck with the tummy, I know how it is to have that annoyance constantly with you!!! I love you and miss you!

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are great updates! I feel as if I am traveling with you.

I am so happy you are pleased with your host family. That had such a high risk factor and that you adore them will make this whole experience amazing for you.

My mom lit a candle for your safety at church the other day. There you go.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Lins said...

She just doesn't want you to get sick(0:

God awful hot here in Ohio. I'm sick of writing papers! Just looked to see that I have yet another one due next Tuesday, the dad before my birthday, that sucks!

Hugs

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Anneke @annekevk said...

Angie! I miss your Dad at work, he's on vacation and I don't know what to do with myself now that I have neither you nor your father to chat with on campus! I'll think of you when I blow dry my hair at night. :)

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
We are at Heidi's house in Alabama. Vicky was here and we have already gone to San Antonio to take her home. We saw Marco and his wife Natalie and their little 13 month old Tony. We also say both little and big Davids. We saw Eunice, Alexis and Manuelito. The kids liked the folding chairs I took to them, especially David. I took the infatable globe balls for the little ones. I'm glad you have good host parents. I'll email later. Love Mom, Dad, Brody, Heidi and Chris.
Oh, by the way, the white Honda got hit while it was parked near Krista's house. The other person's insurance will pay for the damage. It was scraped all along the left side by an SUV.
More later, Love Mom.

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... Angie I know how your nightly wet hair routine is. Good job on submitting to waipo's instruction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home