Sunday, July 02, 2006

It's raining in Chengdu

I arrived in China last night (or early, early morning depending on the time zone). It was long; it was exhausting, but we made it without any major complications. I did get here in time to see England's heartbreaking loss to Portugual and then fell fast asleep.

The food here has been awesome so far. But I've only had two meals. It'll take a while to figure out what I like and don't like, but I'm pleased.

We're staying at a hotel in Chengdu for the first week of training, and then Thursday we're scattered among our host families for the next 9 weeks. I get to sit in language classes every morning for four hours each day.

The people in my group are great. I think I've had a chance to talk to almost everyone--not bad in a group of 61. We come from various educational backgrounds and range in age from 21 to 72. But there are quite a few people my age. We have 6 or 7 married couples. My roommate is a former corporate lawyer, who's using this experience as her recovery program. I'm glad I've been placed with her, as it's worked out really well.

Thanks for all the emails I've received. I'll respond individually when I get a chance. Otherwise, read me here.

7 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Lins said...

Hugs Angie! Glad you made it there ok. We're thinking about you. "Devdas" was amazing!

Lins

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Kari said...

Hey Angie, I'm so glad to have read about your arrival; I've been thinking about you this week and wondering how everything was going. I look forward to hearing more about China!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Mei Lian said...

Ni hao. How is China treating you. Here are some good dishes to try. Gong Bao Ji Ding. (Kong Pao Chicken.) Kong Xin Cai (Empty Heart Vegtable). Ma Fu Dofu (Tofu that's actually good.)
Ping An (Peace),
REBECCA
Ps. if you are looking for some good Chinese sites get Chinese Pod on itunes or goto On-line Chinese tools.

 
At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooHoo! Safe landing! Lindsey, Tommi and I toasted you at El Mariachi, just so you know. We're thinking of you, chica.

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,
I'm glad to here you're enjoying it so far and that you made it safely! We wish you the best!

Heidi, Chris, and Brody

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ang! Brilliant to hear things are well. You're in my thoughts often....and on Thursday as I think I saw your mom at the Huntington Gardens but i was too chicken to see if it was really her :)

deej

 
At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see PICTURES. Hope you are well...miss you in Cali.
xo
Shelby, et al. :)

(5 more pgs to go on my thesis...count with me.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home