Saturday, September 02, 2006

Moving On

Last night was our Host Family Appreciation Dinner (which I MCed, btw). It was bittersweet. It signifies the beginning of the end of our stay in Chengdu but the end of our training. Most of us are ready to begin what we came to do--to teach. Though I'm excited to be in Lanzhou and finally settle somewhere, I am sad to be leaving. I was really fortunate in getting the host family I got, as I have essentially become one of the family. They invited me to attend Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) with them, confirming my status as family memeber. I move out of their house on Tuesday. I can still remember the day I moved in. It's all gone by too quickly.

On the other hand, we swear in as official PC Volunteers this week! It's going to be a pretty big event. I'll be wearing a traditional-looking Chinese shirt I had made especially for the occasion! And then training is over!

The trip to Leshan last weekend was fantastic! 11 of 22 of went to see the Grand Buddha. And he is grand--70 meters grand. Well worth the trip. Though it was weird being in such a touristy area. We tried eating lunch before going into see the Buddha and were greeted with restaurant after restaurant attempting to charge us too much for food. One place even handed us a menu in English (the first time I've seen an English menu in China at a non Western eating establishment) with prices far too big for our PC budgets. Finally we found a place that made us food more in line with the amount of money we wanted to spend. Though that was also an ordeal, but it worked out wonderfully in the end.

Now for a tangent! I've become addicted to Chinese TV, which is funny considering I didn't watch much TV at home. I'm currently invested in Supergirl--their version of American Idol. But I'm also spending several hours each evening watching TV dramas. It started by sitting on the couch with the family, trying to integrate into the home. Then it turned into a way to improve my listening comprehension. I'd often take a book with me and read through it, not paying attention to TV all that much. But then I got sucked into some shows. So much so that I'll put off going to the restroom or taking a shower until there's an appropriate break. The other night my Wai Po and I were glued to the TV when the female protagonist of the show we're currently watching was diagnosed with cancer. ZD walked into the room looking at us with an amused expression on her face.

The way shows are scheduled here makes it really easy to get addicted. Unlike US TV shows, which will only show once a week over the course of several weeks, Chinese TV shows play every night for several hours over the course of a week or two. So from 6 pm until 11 pm every night, one TV show is playing on a channel. So by the end of the night, you're invested into the lives of the characters and are hooked.

The other reason I think I like Chinese TV dramas so much is that they often feature stories where the female protagonist is the romantic underdog (much like Bollywood, when I think about it). Western stories usually make the male protagonist the underdogs. But as a female, I'd rather see the girl victorious at the end than the male.

That's all for me. I probably won't write again until I'm in Lanzhou. I get there on Saturday!

5 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
It's good to here from you. Remember Maria la del Barrio? As you were explaining about watching Chinese TV programs I thought of the time you spent watching Maria la del Barrio.

We haven't bought another calling card yet. If we do before Sunday AM we'll call you by Sunday PM or Monday PM. It's Labor Day this Monday.

Dad is in the process of putting a new roof on the shed in the backyard. He completely removed the old one and is putting on a new one. I think he'll only have time to put the plywood today. It's almost dark now. I helped a little.

We took the White Honda to Pick a Part or a place like that and they only offered $150 for it. I told them that we wanted $500 for it and drove home with it again. However, a worker there gave us a phone number of a person that might buy it from us for $300. That's better than $150. I'll let you know what comes of it all.

Dad tried to trim the cat's fur. He got quite of it off. But that matted area is still there. He did get some of that off. He put a E cone ("lampshade" cover) on her neck to prevent her from biting dad. However, she still scratched him in a couple of places on his hand.

I've been going to my classroom this week to get it ready. All teachers have to be in school on Tuesday. Students come on Thursday.

I hope you find a nice gift for your host family.

Love and Prayers,
Mom

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Hey gorgeous! Well, it's official... you're gonna be official! Although, I considered you official two days after you left when I realized I would not talk to you for a LONG time(C: But, I am sure it is exciting as nothing else! I am also stoked to hear that you are able to not get taken advantage of by the local merchants! I consider that a huge deal!!! I read your mom's message... SHE IS SO ADORABLE!!! I hope they know that if your dad needs any help with the shed, he is welcome to call me...

I went bike riding yesterday. From my house to the Rose Bowl and back! On the way back I stopped by your old Starbucks. Said hi to Tonnie (sp?). I joined the covina cycle club too... I haven't been able to ride with them yet, but hopefully that will change soon. You can check em out at www.covinacycleclub.org. I have a full on uniform for cycling too. Complete with the shorts and all... Now there's a thought for ya(C;

Well my dear, I miss you tons and love you more!

Have a great Labor Day!!! --> Why do we celebrate this holiday again?

Scott

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it just so happens, ironically enough, that Chinese TV is addicted to ME!

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

I have tried to contact you but I'm a little slow in learning how to do it! Ha!

It seems that you are having so many new ideas,your family there,
and learning more about the country.

I have read your comments and writings. Now, that your Mom has
shown me what to do, I'll follow you more closely.

Take care,

Claudia

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,
I love this post! I can just picture you sitting there, watching TV, holding off going to the bathroom! I can only imagine! :) I have enjoyed looking at the pictures you've sent. You look so happy! We miss you! Glad to know you are enjoying yourself, but, of course I had no doubt that you would!

Love ya,
Heidi and Brody

 

Post a Comment

<< Home