Monday, July 10, 2006

Training

I think I just lost my post. I don't know; I can't see my blog.

Anyway, they broke our group down into thirds late last week. Each group went to a different university around Chengdu, where we'll do the rest of our training. Our eventual site (home for the next two years) coincides directly with our training site. So I'll either end up in Gansu or somewhere in Sichuan. I won't find out for another 5 weeks.

I'm also living with a host family. I've been there since Thursday. They live in a huge flat on the university campus. It has a big screen TV and air conditioning! I live with my host father, who is a Chinese professor, my host mother, my host sister, a 15 year old who speaks English well enough for me to communicate, and my host grandmother (wai po), who cooks the most amazing meals.

We eat rice for every meal. And the food at home isn't spicey--a concession for me, I think. They're very patient with me and are teaching me words. But as I don't speak the language, there's not many things we can discuss yet. But they're treating me well and give me personal space if I need it. Mainly we just watch TV. I've been watching a show called Supergirl. It's sort of an American Idol type of thing, but with girls. THis weekend they showed me some great Chengdu sites and brought my host father's sister along. She's 29 and is an English teacher.

Training is busy. We have language classes from 8am to noon, and then after lunch we have "technical sessions," where we get job training.

Sorry I've gotten behind on emails. I've been without internet, but now I know where the internet cafe is, so I should catch up within the week. I've got to jet to training. Stay tuned.

7 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Scott said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Eh... you're alive and that is all we care about!!! I am glad to hear that things are going well, you have a host family that sounds nice, and (most importantly) you have great food! We all love you and cannot wait to hear from you again (blog, email, etc...). You continue to stay in our prayers and thoughts! Love ya!!!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Lins said...

Ditto what Scott said. Glad you're doing well. I'm sure the language barrier will get better soon, but hey nice people, good food, and a big screen TV! Doesn't sound too bad to me:)

Love ya,
Lins

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Scott... its the food. What the hec is she eating, that is the question and I'm glad to know that you're eating a lot of rice, Angie. We kind of had a heart attack at church yesterday really realizing and acknowledging that you are really gone and in China and not with us. Crazy! Everyone is missing you. We love you!

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's good to hear what you're up to... i've been wondering. i had a great time visiting kelly in grenada and meeting the other peace corps. sounds like the home stay can be one of the more difficult things so i'm glad to hear you have a good host family so far. i'm also glad you're blogging... itnernet makes the world seem that much smaller. enjoy every moment,
theresa

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
Sounds like you are fine. We are proud of you. Dad and I returned from San Francisco this Monday about 12:30. Yes, I did go to the Huntington Library with hermanas Vazquez, Eudave and Arriaza. We had a lot of fun. I didn't see Deej. I did see some books that I wondered if you had read; Darcy's Daughters. I think that was one of the titles. There were other books with Darcy's name but I can't rememeber the author nor the titles. You probably know them. I'll have to go see at the library. I went to visit the Ackers. They have read the Linking Point and Blink from the same author. I'm almost finished with the LP. I emailed you a couple of times. Love you.
Love,
Mom

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger heidi said...

Hey Ange!
I'm glad to hear everything is going well so far. Thanks for keeping us posted. We miss you at mountainside.

Heidi (Geary)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home