Saturday, August 26, 2006

I should begin this blog by apologizing for not replying to emails that you all have faithfully sent to me. The two hours a week I spend online is not enough for thoughtful responses. But rest assured, I will answer them. It just may take another month. I love reading them and feeling like I know a little bit about what's happening at home.

With just a little under two weeks until "swearing in" (when my training group officially become PC Volunteers), life is moving both too quickly and not fast enough. It's been great to be home with my host family. I move out of the house in a week and a half, and I'm already getting teary-eyed just thinking about it. Most of my fellow trainees can't wait to get to site. Me, I will be leaving Chengdu with a bit of sadness. But I've been invited back whenever I want to visit, so it'll be OK. They took me to a ballet last Friday night. Zhong Dian and I sat through "Tales of the Silk Road." It's only the second ballet I've been to, and like "Swan Lake" at Miami (good times with Linsey, Kari, and Dara) "Tales..." had me in tears at points. It was gorgeous--the story, the colors, the dancing... Scott, there was also plenty of "hip thingy" going on. I thought of you the whole time. But otherwise it's been mellow at home. My host mom is gone on a business trip this weekend and ZD has started school again, so it's been quiet but nice.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Leshan, which is two hours south of Chengdu and is famous for it's Grand Buddha. According to Lonely Planet it's the largest seated Buddha in the world. I've wanted to see it since I've arrived and with the host mom out of town and ZD at school (yes, on a Sunday), there isn't a better opportunity to go. It's turned into quite the event. There will be at least 8-12 of us in total going. I've been the one organizing the trip, which has been unusual for me, since I never successfully organize any type of outings--even at home in the U.S. But I'm unofficially in charge of the trip. Being in China has already changed me. I'm much more willing to put myself out there than I ever was at home. I guess I'm a bit more confident, if that's possible.

Update on the lip (and for those of you on MySpace, stay tuned for the picture). I talked to the doctor about my hives and lip, showing her the pictures. After she laughed at my photo, she thought it looked and sounded like a part of the allergy. So no bugs were getting fresh with me that night. Thank God. She thinks it may have been the final purging of the reaction, since that's the last break out I've had. I'm still on allergy medication for a couple of weeks in case any of allergy is lingering in my body.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for the comments in advance.

Btw, I'm craving In 'n Out like nothing else. The other night I saw a Pizza Hut commercial and my mouth began to water. ZD laughed at me.

4 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Angie,

I will not tell you what I had for dinner tonight(C: On another note, you have successfully planned events... your birthday??? Nonetheless, it is great to hear that you are getting involved on a "leadership" level!!! That is awesome! I eagerly await the photos of your lip. I think at this point I am picturing a characature (sp?) image of you when I think about the big lip and it makes me smile! It is also great to hear that you have developed such a great relationship with your host family. Although, I never once doubted that they would love you when they met you, or you them. And for the hip thingy... I have a funny India story...

Dell recalled some of their laptop batteries, so I called to make sure mine was not one of them. Obviously the gentleman I talked to was in India, and I could not resist the question: "Who is your favorite Bollywood actress?" He then said, "You probably have not heard of her, but her name is Kareena." I said, "Oh... you mean Kareena Kapoor?" And that blew him away and led us into a 10 minute Bollywood conversation. Anywho... it ended with him giving me his personal email address and telling me that if I ever had any problem with my computer to email him and he will call me directly from "Dell - India" and I would be able to bipass the hold, # dialing, and all that jazz!!! Did you ever think that your Bollywood would accomplish something like that??? I didn't!

That's all... I miss you tons and love you more!!!

Scott

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope it wasn't too late to inform you this. You should know that there's a museum full of many more georgous statues of Buddah at the back of Leshah called Dongfangfodu(the Eastern Capital of Buddah), which is 30yuan to get in, but highly worth seeing, since it's just 20 minute's walk from the seated one and as amazing if not more. Have fun! Love from Wendy

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
I'm glad you are getting medication for your allergies. You did have allergies before.
Dad and I wanted to call you this weekend, but it sounds like you will be out of town on Sunday. Or is it on Saturday that you will be out of town?

Had you heard about the Dell lap top computer battery problems? You might want to call Dell's 800 number to find out if the battery of your computer needs to be replaced. Maybe, like Scott, you can get an "in" bypassing all the red tape to get information.

Dad went to Mr. Cuxil's Memorial Service at Lake Avenue and saw lots of people from Maranatha.

Love and prayers,
Mom

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Lins said...

Hey Angiegirl,

Exciting news on my end and yours too. According to my Buffy sources, Anthony Stewart Head aka Giles will be staring in Persuasion as Sir Walter Eliott. Yay Fun!

All is good here. LOTS of homework this semester so far.

Bad plane crash involving a COM Air flight outside of Lexington, KY this morning.

Hurricane Ernesto is on its way to get Ty in Northport, FL.

Hugs,
Lins

 

Post a Comment

<< Home