Monday, August 21, 2006

Back from Lanzhou

Well, my site visit was hen hao (very good). I loved the reps from my university--they were more than accomidating! I have a "counterpart" teacher, who is a lot of fun and happy to help me around the college and town. And I was able to meet my sitemate afterall! He returned from his travels and invited me out to dinner with his friends. I ended up spending most of the rest of my time with him and his friends. He's been super and is looking forward to helping me settle in.

Great story: my last morning in Lanzhou, I woke up early to meet one of the Foreign Affairs Office people, Amy, for breakfast. She wanted to take me to a famous restaurant in town for beef noodles (a Gansu specialty). It's only open from 6am to 10am, so it had to be breakfast (different, I know, but that's another topic for another day). But as I'm waking up, I realize I can't feel my bottom lip. I reach down to touch it, and it's swollen. So I grab a mirror close from my nightstand and see that lip is 8 times its normal size. This sends me into a panic, and I almost call the PC doctors in Chengdu. I looked pathetic. But it was funny (and yes, I do have pictures). Luckily it went away by the time Amy and I reached the restaurant. Don't know if it was a spider or mosquito bite or an allergic reaction. Amy doesn't think it's a mosquito bite, as "mosquitos don't kiss lips." I guess I'll never know.

6 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Angie,

If I have told you once, I have told you a million times... Don't make out with insects and other bugs... YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN!!! I am glad to hear that you healed well and quickly. I just wanted to pass on the word that we are all thinking of you and praying for you. Things are well on this end, nothing exciting. Family is good, the house is getting finished up, and Abbey told me the other day that she misses you greatly. Sadie on the other hand may not last too long in life if she keeps digging holes... (C: Anywho darlin... love you tons and miss you much!

Scott

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Lins said...

Ang,
I'm worried about you:) Every new blog you seem to be falling apart...first hives, now a swollen lip.

My hair dryer blew up on Friday (smoke & sparks) a bit scary.

School starts tomorrow;) Miss you.

Lins

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI ANGIE- I wanted to tell you that I miss you tons and tons, but that I'm SOOO glad to hear that things are going well. I would have to agree with Scott is right when he tells you that kissing insects is not such a good idea. Plan on Erin and I coming out some time to see you sometime. We both miss you a lot and love to keep up on what's going on there. Love you, miss you! -Chelsea

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
Sorry about the bite on your lip. I hope it doesn't happen again. Tell the Dr. about it when you see him or her about the hives.

Mr. Cuxil passed away last week. There will be a memorial service for him at Lake Avenue on Saturday, Aug. 26, at 10. Dad found out from Vivian from Maranatha.

Your cousin Carole should have gotten out of the hospital today. I'll let you know later how she is.

Love and Prayers,
Mom and Dad

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi to Mrs and Mr McHodgkins from Lisa!! :)

Ang -

You'll have to tell me some of your favourite dishes and I 'll see if I can find them here on Cowley Rd.

Oxford is still crazy with tourists by I might run away to Somerset soon for some research.

Smile.

LT

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, i miss you!!!! your funny, and i like reading about your adventures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home