Monday, September 18, 2006

week 1 in Lanzhou

I've been in Lanzhou a little over a week now, and I haven't done much. I've basically been a hermit in my apartment, leaving only to teach, meet with school officials, hang out with my sitemate, or get food. I'm allowing myself one more week of this and then I'm forcing myself out of the apartment. There's a whole city I need to explore and a lot of Chinese I need to start speaking.

I began teaching last week but I really begin today. I have night classes, except for two classes in the morning. It's going to be weird adjusting to a night schedule since I've turned into a morning person over the last few years, but I must take what I'm given and adjust. I might pick up tai chi as a side activity, and I would love for someone to teach me how to cook. I've never been wonderful in the kitchen, but I've been able to feed myself and did learn how to cook a few things. But in China I have no oven and few western ingredients that I'm used to, so I'm a bit lost here. It's also strange shopping for food, since I have to go to a few markets to get the things I need. There are supermarkets in Lanzhou, but as I haven't ventured very far from my apartment, I haven't been to them. Needless to say, I miss my Wai Po and her food.

I've been spending the rest of my time watching movies on my new DVD player. I've also been watching the Chinese TV show I bought on DVD. I justify the latter action since it is in Chinese, so it's not exactly procrastinating. It's listening comprehension! I've also been learning new Chinese characters and will begin my language tutoring sessions on Wednesday. And there's always lesson planning to do.

Anyway, that's the update. Kurt and Sonia are venturing off on their PC experience this week, and I wish them the best. Those lemers don't have a clue that Sonia's coming to their island.

3 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Aside from the whole "feeding yourself" thing, you are going to have a lot of people to cook for when they visit and when you come home here and there... So you best be gettin on that cookin.

Night classes are an adjustment, I cannot imagine having to adjust to teaching them. Shoot, if you're a student, you can just draw some eyes on your eyelids and go to sleep. It will be much harder to do that if you are teaching the class. Just make sure you are in safe places when going about at night, or that someone is with you. Listen to me, sorry... it is the best I can do if I am not able to see you.

Have a great time "Learning the Language" with your DVD player. And I will talk to you later!

Miss ya much, but love ya more!

Scott

PS: Yolanda... I BEAT YOU!!!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Anneke @annekevk said...

Hey there Angie-
I am back at school finally, and Kieran is already talking in assembly. (I have to kick him to be quiet almost daily!) At least he isn't in my class anymore. You are missed around here. You'll get a kick out of this story: On the 1st day of school the new Spanish teacher (sub for Amy) began going over the class expectations in Spanish. Normal, right? Except it wasn't a Spanish class, it was her study hall. Poor kids were so shell shocked they though they had to speak in Spanish the entire time they were in study hall! It took the bravest kid over 10 minutes to raise he hand and say "Uh, this is study hall." :)

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

I hope you can make your classes fun.

I put a comment on Rebecca's blog but I haven't gotten a reply.

Love, and Prayers,
Mom

And yes, Scott, you did beat me this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home