Monday, December 19, 2005

My Cell Phone: a Rant

The face of my cell phone no longer works properly. I'm afraid that a few days from now it will cease working altogether. The reality of two things set in, nearly instantaneously. First, I don't have most of the phone numbers of my dearest friends recorded anywhere but in my phone. When this occured to me I immediately stopped what I was doing and ran to write the numbers down and was almost late to work by doing so.

My second thought was (and is) and bit more complicated. See, I've had my phone for over two years and am eligible for a new contract with Verizon along with a new phone, but that means giving them another two-year commitment. I don't have two years to give them, as I'm leaving the country in months (hopefully). So I can either purchase a phone at full price (remember, I work at Starbucks and don't have that kind of money) OR I can use my phone until I can't anymore and then try to live without it. The latter solution terrified me. And then it terrified me that I was so terrified about not having a phone. I mean, has it really come to this? Am I that dependent on my phone? It's not like I get a lot of phone calls. I'll be honest, there are days my phone doesn't ring, and, if I'm going to be really honest, if it wasn't for Scott there's a good chance my phone wouldn't ring for weeks on end. But then I think of what would happen if I didn't have a phone: what if my car breaks down?; what if I'm sitting at the airport waiting to board my plane and don't have my phone to call Ed, whom I haven't spoken to for years but decide, in my boredom and inability to keep myself occupied, that it's the perfect opportunity to call him?; what if I have to go into a Starbucks (not mine) and have to order a drink when I really can't be bothered to talk to the friendly person in a green apron? How will I give them that look, while I tell the person I'm talking to to hold on while I order, which says: I can't believe you're interupting my conversation--Give me a Venti Carmel Frappuccino Light, extra carmel, extra whip cream!

I can't believe how dependent on my cell phone I've become in four and a half years. It's actually rather ridiculous. So I've decided that once my phone dies, I will divorce Verizon--my relationship with them has lasted longer than some marriages--and return to the 1990s, when I never dreamed I'd own a cell phone. The upside is I save $45 a month!

This is going to be harder than I think, isn't it?

2 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Lins said...

I propose another option. You can still divorce Verizon but why don't you consider a Go Phone from Cingular...pay as you go...or as much as you use it...no contract, so when you leave, no worries:)

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Kari said...

I second Linsey's idea. I hate how much I depend on my phone as well...there was a time in my life when I had the phone numbers of all of my friends memorized, and now I can't even remember my boyfriend's number. But the world has changed, thanks to cell phones. Whereas in the 90s there were pay phones everywhere, now you have to really search to find one (trust me, I've done that, in college when my cell phone was crap and I lived miles from the nearest tower - and even that was years ago, so there's probably even fewer pay phones around now). In a way, there's really no going back to the way things were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home