Thursday, December 01, 2005

Defending Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Pride and Prejudice was my most anticipated film of 2005. Since I first read the novel in 1997, I have become a woman obsessed with all things Austen. I have a B.A. in Literature and an M.A. in English Literature. I wrote an undergraduate honor's thesis on Jane Austen and my M.A. thesis on adaptations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I've read P&P nine times and have seen the A&E/Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle movie more times than I can count (I remember one finals week during college when I watched it three times). When I heard about a new adaptation I was ecstatic.

Now that the film has released, I find myself defending the film to Austen fans who believe the movie should be a certain way or who feel that nothing will ever compare to the BBC/A&E miniseries. Remarkably, P&P (2005) has done exceptionally well among critics and has some people talking about an Oscar nomination for Keira Knightley.

Here's something I wrote on one of the internet forums I frequent. I thought I'd share my thoughts here.

I'm always excited to see films adapted from novels I enjoy because I like watching someone else's vision/interpretation of the novel. I remember when I first read P&P (as a senior in high school) and then shortly after saw the Firth/Ehle version. I was so annoyed by the decision to cast Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy because he wasn't how I envisioned my Mr. Darcy. Of course with repeated viewings of the BBC miniseries, I came to associate Mr. Darcy with Colin Firth,
lol. Anyway, I digress.


Adapting a novel for film is a tricky process because the filmmaker must balance the limitations of the medium with the expectations of the novel's readers and people who don't know that a novel version exists. This doesn't even take into account other sources the filmmaker may be borrowing from to make the film (other adaptations, critical interpretations, plays, etc.) or the filmmakers own interpretation of the novel. Given the difficulty of the task and the immediate negativity this film provoked, since according to many people, the definitive version of P&P had been made just ten years ago, I am amazed and impressed by Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice. {Btw, I love the BBC P&P, but if I want the definitve version, I'll just read the novel again.}

SPOILERS

No, not every theme Austen writes about is present in the film (very few are there, actually). Yes, the film lacks much of the biting social critique the novel so brilliantly deploys. Yes, I wish the Lady Catherine De Bourgh/Lizzy showdown was more fulfilling. I wish Wickham had been fleshed out better, and if he had maybe the elopement would have had more of an impact on the story. I think making Mr. Bennet an entirely sympathetic character was wrong. Bingley entering Jane's room is inaccurate and completely taboo given the time period, etc., etc., etc.

END SPOILERS

But I wasn't watching this film to see what I see when I read the novel. And as a film, disassociated from its original source (because you must separate the film from the novel if you want to remain somewhat objective), it's very good. The camera work in the Netherfield scene is brilliantly executed and choreographed. The performances, for the most part, are impressive. The score is gorgeous. The pacing, surprisingly, is perfect (and gets better with a second viewing). The cinematography is beautiful. And, though many people won't agree with me, Keira Knightley nails aspects of Elizabeth better than I've seen any other screen Elizabeth do, including Jennifer Ehle, who I thought was a brilliant Elizabeth.

I actually see a lot of similarities (in feel, mood, atmosphere, etc) between Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice and Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility, the latter which is my favorite film. Ever.

I understand this film isn't for everyone. And purists will probably hate it. But if you're willing to see this as Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice, not Jane Austen's or Andrew Davies' Pride and Prejudice, you might really enjoy it.

I just hope filmmakers keep giving me a new adaptation of this novel every ten years.

See this movie if you get a chance. It currently rests atop my Top Ten list for 2005 (bias aside, I think)!

3 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were a librarian, you would call it Pride and prejudice (Motion picture : 2005). But I think that it is hilarious that you did add the date to differentiate between the movies.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Katie,

On pemberley.com (not the forum I wrote this for), it's referred to as P&P3 and the BBC one is P&P2. The first one is P&P0, which doesn't make much sense to me. Shouldn't the counting start with 1, then 2, then 3, and then 4? So technically, this should be P&P4. Regardless, only "Republic of Pemberley" members would understand the number system, hence the addition of the year.

So, when are you going to call me?

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger renee said...

Hey Angie!

Still have to see it, but I want to so bad. I heard it was really a kind of dirty take (not sexy dirty, dirt dirty). I'm excited.

I miss you and I hope you're well!

Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home