Monday, January 23, 2006

Top Ten Movies of 2005

It's taken me a while to catch up on all the films I wanted to see in 2005. As it is, there are still movies I want to see but haven't had the chance: Hustle and Flow, Syriana, A History of Violence, and many more. But I've done my best and feel like I can finally present my list.

In any other year, these might have made my top ten, but they fell just short this year. My Honorable Mention:

13. Match Point (Woody Allen)
12. Junebug (Phil Morrison)
11. Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog)

10. Shopgirl (Anand Tucker)
See this for Claire Danes' quiet, heartbreaking, and gutsy performance. The score is also a gem. Too few people saw this film, which explains why Danes isn't getting any awards/critical attention.

9. The Constant Gardener (Fernando Meirelles)
So I'm a sucker for films about political conspiracies and social justice. Between this and City of God (2002), Fernando Meirelles is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.

8. Parineeta (Pradeep Sarkar)
My Bollywood pick of the year is truly deserving of a spot on any top ten list. The cinematography is better than anything I've seen from Hollywood this year. Saif Ali Khan proves that he can do more than comedy, while Vidya Bilan is revelatory in this, her first role.

7. Walk the Line (James Mangold)
Though the narrative is nothing we haven't seen before (see last year's Ray for the same story), I couldn't stop tapping my foot while I watched this film. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon give outstanding performances, and unlike last year's inferior Ray, they do all their own singing and playing of the instruments.

6. Munich (Stephen Spielberg)
Though Spielberg is heavy handed with his message, it's important enough for me not to care that I'm being preached at. This might be my favorite Spielberg film.

5. Murderball (Henry Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro)
This film does such a great job telling you a story that you forget you're watching a documentary. One of the best sports movies I've seen in years.

4. Good Night, and Good Luck (George Clooney)
Another preachy and politically potent film that everyone should see. I particularly loved the way Clooney weaves the McCarthy footage with his shots. The cinematography is also stunning.

3. Crash (Paul Haggis)
I don't know that I've ever seen a film so honest about humanity. There aren't any good guys or bad guys in this film--just people who are conditioned to view other people in unfortunate ways.

2. Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)
The only word that comes to mind when I think about Ang Lee's latest film is "sublime." It's easy to dimiss this film as a gay cowboy movie, but it's a classic tale of unrequitted love told against the goreous backdrop of Wyoming (really, it's Alberta, Canada).

1. Pride and Prejudice (Joe Wright)
My most anticipated film of the year turned out to be my favorite. Made despite the loud groans of Austen faithful, Colin Firth-worshipping fans, Joe Wright's P&P is a bold and fun take on Austen's most read novel. Keira Knightley shines as Elizabeth Bennet. The cinematography and score are also outstanding. Best ensemble cast in any film this year.

Worst Film of 2005: The Longest Yard

Other films I saw (from #14 to second-worst): Jarhead, Black, Capote, Bunty aur Babli, Saving Face, Millions, The Family Stone, Fever Pitch, Salaam Namaste, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dear Frankie, Cinderella Man, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, King Kong, Batman Begins, The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Just Like Heaven, Broken Flowers, The Upside of Anger, Bride and Prejudice, Hitch, Rory O'Shea Was Here, Wedding Crashers, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, My Summer of Love, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith, The Island, Elektra, Must Love Dogs.

2 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw Pride and Prejudice last night and it was indeed quite lovely. One of the best adaptations of a Jane Austen novel ever.

My favorite film of the year has to be A History of Violence, though, but I guess it really is a matter of taste. :)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Angie said...

A History of Violence is a film I still need to see. But it doesn't come out on DVD until March. I've only heard great things about it. P&P (2005) is a great Austen adapation, you're right. I'd rank it behind Sense and Sensibility and Clueless.

Thanks for the comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home