Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Back from the Bay

About six weeks ago I impulsively purchased a plane ticket to San Francisco to hang out with my best friend from high school, who I haven't been in touch with for nearly four years. I've been to San Francisco once before--a spring break excursion with my college roommates in which we went to some of the city's most recognizable landmarks. This trip wasn't like that; I didn't even see the Golden Gate Bridge.

The highlights:
  • Hav's VW Golf breaking down after getting picked up from the airport--a rather inauspicious, but memorable, beginning.
  • Not understanding what "What's your story?" means.
  • I got this text message from Leah the day before I go to SF which reads: "Yay, the once a month tea dance is this saturday n ur going! Its a daytime drinking eating n dancing people watching event. Don't worry, i won't make u do." Not only was I forced to dance, but I was sandwiched a couple of times in the process--no thanks to Leah, Hav, or Jenny. The evening confirmed what I already knew: hip hop and I don't get along. Bring on 80's pop punk or Bollytunes if you expect me to dance.
  • The lesbian fight that erupted and the repeated gatherings at the microphone emploring the combatants that "this isn't how we represent the community!" Gotta love Mango...
  • Jenny's prediction--we'll see, but I wouldn't bet anything on it.
  • Grabbing the attention of the Indian men at the Indian restaurant when I unconscioulsy started singing a line from the Veer-Zaara song "Lodi."
  • Catching up with faces from my past.
  • Not understanding the fascination with Anthony's bike.
  • The awkward feeling knowing that everyone I met knew way too much about me.

To my wonderful hostesses, Leah and Havilah, thank you for bringing me into your world and spending so much of your time with me. JennyB, I am forever thankful you drove into the city to spend a few hours chatting with me the way we did at PLNU. Jenny, Kimber, Ashley, AshleyB, and Khadeja, thanks for enriching my weekend. I'd love to do it again soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home