Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas & California On My Mind

Yes, I'm still alive.
Yes, I'm still in China.
Yes, I remember I have this blog I've neglected for nearly a year now.

It's Christmas today, my second in China. Christmas in China, as I know I mentioned just a couple of blogs ago (since it's been that long) is rather surreal. Tonight I went to a dinner with a few of my other foreign friends at a hotel for an All You Can Eat Buffet, which included turkey! A real turkey. It also included rather interesting performances from some "dancers" from a local club who were scantily clad. Earlier in the day I taught two classes--the first time I've ever worked on Christmas day.

It's easy to get homesick this time of year. I don't know that I'm homesick, but I can definitely use a break. So as I was sitting at my computer tonight, I decided I would finally create that California Playlist for my iPod that I've thought of many times.

So here's what's on my list for you other proud Californians (some choices are far too obvious):

"California Blue" by The Orange Peals
"Winding Road" by Bonnie Somerville
"California" by Phantom Planet
"California Girls" by The Beach Boys
"A Long December" by The Counting Crows
"Going to California" by Led Zeppelin
"California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & The Papas
"Californication" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Dani California" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
"California Stars" by Jeff Tweedy
"California" by Rufus Wainwright
"Piazza, New York Catcher" by Belle & Sebastian
"Hotel California" by The Eagles
"California Love" by 2Pac, featuring Dr. Dre
"California Sun" by The Dictators
"Nothing Left To Lose" by Mat Kearney
"Back to California" by Sugarcult

Did I miss anything I need to have on this list?

To everyone who celebrates, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I'll be back writing about my Winter Holiday adventures in southern China and Thailand soon!

~ Angie

4 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
We love you. Have a happy vacation. Take care. Keep in touch. We'll call you this weekend.
Love and Prayers,
Mom and Dad

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Glad you're doing well! We're keeping the Bolly lamps burning in your absence. I just read this great book by Vikram Seth about his travels through western China and he encounters some folks in a village who know Hindi songs and demand he sing them repeatedly. It's such a great book.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Sonia said...

Yes. You missed two California essentials; "California Stars" by Wilco (and Billy Bragg?) and "California Waiting" by Kings of Leon. I'm just saying...

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Glad to hear you're alive... I always feel that "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" by Jan & Dean is a fitting addition to the California Mix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home