Thursday, September 01, 2005

Ohio

Reasons why it's tolerable to live in Ohio:
1. Jungle Jim's. To people who've never been there it's merely a grocery store. For me, it was a sanctuary in the middle of a culinary wasteland. I'm going to miss the monnerail, the giant cheese, beer from places I've never heard of, the terrible Robin Hood show, and the Jungle Jim's movie (which I never did see).
2. Thunderstorms. Don't get too many of those in SoCal. I could sit and watch them for hours.
3. Fireflies, or are they Lightning Bugs?
4. The Smokin' Ox. My favorite restaurant in Oxford. Garrett and Mary are awesome.
5. Indian Buffet. I realize I can get better Indian food here, but the impulsive trips to tri county in the middle of the week can't be replaced. Plus, I was just getting to know the Punjabi men who run the place.
6. The Cicada Plague. How lucky of me to have experienced this 1/17 year phenomenon!
7. Snow!
8. Parties at Tom and Blade's
9. The annual Super Bowl Party. Does anyone else think it's funny that a group of English graduate students gather around to watch the biggest sporting event of the year on a small TV with snowy reception?
10. Saturday a.m. basketball with the boys and Rebecca
11. Cornhole
12. Corn mazes
13. Lane Public Library
14. Half-Price Books
15. The swimming pool at the Rec. Center.
16. Watching the sunrise over Bachelor Hall--one of the pleasures of teaching at 8:00 am
17. Canasta
18. Tuesday night dinners
19. A Susan Morgan seminar
20. Bachelor 362

Of course, my friends made my experience in Ohio the most memorable. Linsey, Kari, Shiloh and Justin, Tom and Jen, Blade and Julie, Aaron, Jennifer, Kim, Carmen, Danielle, Darren, Michele, Erin, Cedric, Abbey, Steve, Renee, Jay and Heather, Ted, Daisy, Tonya, Dianne, Susan, Debbie, Sarah, Nate, and Canaan, Joel and Brandi, Butch and Amy, Ben, Hannah, and Morgan, Barb, Linden and Paulette, Darrell and Donna, Daralee, Harry and Sueann, Bill and Lois, Paige, Taylor, Russell, Steve and Sheila, Don and Darlene, Skip (WD) and Marge, Jerry and Darlene, the Dazets: Paul, Stacey, Rebecca, and Jacob, Joel and Brandi, Stephanie, Annie P., Kelly, Joel, Chris, Kristen, the Apple Dumpling Gang: Amy, Cody, and Katie, Leslie, and my family-away-from-my-family: Linsey, Tommie Mommie, Larry, and Mackie.

I certainly didn't leave for greener pastures. California is mostly brown right now. I'm really going to miss it and all of you who gave me a place to be.

3 Comments:

At 2:26 AM, Blogger Lins said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Lins said...

'sniffles' Ang, your surrogate family misses you. We have leftovers that you would have loved:) How's Russian? All is well here...beautiful sunny day but hot and muggy. Say hi to the fam!

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie how are you doing ?
Lost touch with you .
Jerry Darlene & Russell
Ps Russell is working at Starbuck now with Tonya Hope you are doing Great
Darlene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home